Officials find cause of Albany fire, body identified
DOUGHERTY CO., GA (WALB) - Dougherty County Police were called to investigate after a body was found inside a burning Albany home.
Neighbors on the 300 block of Timber Lane called Albany firefighters at about 11:20 p.m. Friday after hearing a loud noise and spotting a home on fire.
Officials discovered the body of 62-year-old Pamela Baggett inside of the home. A dog and multiple cats were also found that died in the fire.
Investigators say the woman was a smoker and on oxygen for illness. The combination sparked an accidental fire while she was in bed.
Firefighters say the roof caved in when they arrived.
8,000 gallons of water was used to extinguish the blaze.
Baggett lived in the home for at least 40 years.
Neighbor Nancy Merchant says Baggett had recently retired, enjoyed golf and gardening.
"She was not only a friend. She was like a second mother," Merchant said.
Copyright 2016 WALB. All rights reserved.