Historic Sycamore house burns
SYCAMORE, GA (WALB) - Folks in Sycamore are sad to see a 127 year old house burn to the ground. Firefighters still don't know what sparked the blaze in the vacant home.
The call came in at 3:34 and two minutes later, it was engulfed in flames. "I thought it was my house burning up," said Lelia Harrell. Harrell is still emotional about the home next door to hers burning. The fire was so bright that it lit up her dining room.
"But all that light in dining room it just lit up. And I just thought my house was on fire until I looked up there and saw all of those flames coming out of that house," said Harrell.
The 19th century home, built in 1889, was vacant. Firefighters arrived just two minutes after getting the call.
"As far as something this big, it's been five or ten years as far as having something this large," said Turner County fire chief Mark Robinson.
Crews used 20,000 gallons of water over a four hour period to get the massive blaze under control.
It may be impossible to figure out where it started. "From here on, it'll be up to the state fire marshal's office and the local law enforcement to go forward from here," said Robinson.
Three different departments responded and all were uninjured. They worked diligently to keep the flames from spreading to nearby homes and businesses.
"I've never been in a fire, but that's the closest I've ever been," said Harrell.
Copyright 2016 WALB. All rights reserved.