Albany mother wants answers about son's chipped tooth

Published: Apr. 14, 2015 at 3:26 AM EDT|Updated: Apr. 14, 2015 at 3:28 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Sadeirdra Canady, Mother
Sadeirdra Canady, Mother
Jack Willis, Asst. Superintendent of Schools for Support Services
Jack Willis, Asst. Superintendent of Schools for Support Services

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - An Albany mother is angry about what she says happened to her son at school.

She says a coach took discipline too far and left her first grader with a chipped tooth.

Sadeirdra Canady says she is upset with how the school system is handling her complaint. School officials say they are doing everything they can to investigate the matter.

8-year-old Deontae Harris' smile shows a chipped tooth. He says it happened when a Coach's discipline during In School Suspension at Jackson Heights Elementary School last month went too far.

"He put me between his legs and spanked me and after that he throwed me to the wall," said Deontae Harris, Student.

That's when Harris says he chipped his tooth. His mom is outraged she wasn't notified when it happened.

"Any other time that Deontae Harris gets in trouble in school they call and report it, you know doing anything," said Sadeirdra Canady, Mother. "No one called it was like they was trying to cover it up."

Harris says the Assistant principal also spanked him. Canady says she only gave permission for the school's principal to spank her son.

"I kept telling the coach that my mom didn't give y'all permission to whoop me except the principal can," said Harris.

"I'm trying to figure out why was the ISS teacher punishing him anyway," said Canady.

Now school police and administrators are investigating.

"At this point I received a call from her this morning telling me about this and then later in the morning I received a copy of the incident report and right now our folk are investigating it," said Jack Willis, Asst. School Superintendent for Support Services.

Canady wants to see some type of disciplinary action taken against the coach.

"This is what three four weeks later now and the investigator just now coming to interview me," said Canady.

School officials are not releasing names pending the investigation.

"There has been no action taken at this point because we don't know exactly what happened," said Willis.

Willis says they hope to finish the investigation by the end of the week.

Copyright 2015 WALB. All rights reserved.