Unattended food sets mobile home on fire

Published: Feb. 23, 2014 at 10:25 PM EST|Updated: Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:26 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Capt. Kelly Harcrowe, Lee County Fire Department
Capt. Kelly Harcrowe, Lee County Fire Department

LEE CO., GA (WALB) - Fire officials say a Lee County man's mobile home caught fire after he left food cooking on the stove, and went to the store.

Lee County fire crews and EMS arrived at the Plantation Mobile Home Park off Highway 82 after 11:00 a.m. Fire officials say a pot of food was left on the stove unattended while the homeowner left to go to the store. His neighbor called to tell him his home was on fire.

"The kitchen was destroyed pretty much with fire, a lot of smoke damage. We're having to pull a lot of ceiling because it got up. Mobile homes have very small attic spaces in them and we're having to pull a lot of that because we got a lot of smolder insulation up there."

Fire officials say you should never leave cooking unattended, and to make sure that cooking appliances are turned off if you do leave. No one was injured. If you would like to donate items to Harold Duke you can contact him at 229-603-0247.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.