GBI leading investigation in fatal officer involved shooting

Published: Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM EDT|Updated: Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:34 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LEESBURG, GA (WALB) - Leesburg and Lee County officials are calling for calm Tuesday, asking for no retaliation following Monday's fatal shooting of a suspect.

Late last night someone fired shots at a Lee County Sheriff's Patrol Car, narrowly missing a deputy.

That Deputy was guarding the home of the Leesburg Police Officer who shot 42 year old Tracy Clyde as he tried to arrest him yesterday afternoon.

Sheriff Reggie Rachals calls the gunfire at the deputy a "Cowardly Act," and asks for patience.

It's a sad situation that we are facing," said Sheriff Rachals. "But there is not sense in doing what they are doing. There is a lot of good folks here in Leesburg and Lee County. And we don't need it, and we're not going to tolerate it."

The GBI is investigating both shootings.

Meanwhile, the angry mother of the Leesburg man killed Monday says she thinks the shooting was racially motivated, and she doubts he will get justice.

Annie Clyde was angry Tuesday morning when talking to WALB and she pulled no punches. She said she didn't think the Police Captain had to kill her son.

GBI agents were still at 114 Pine Street this afternoon, combing over evidence from Monday's shooting that left 42 year old Tracy Clyde dead.

Across the street Leesburg Clyde's mother and family sat on her front porch, saying Leesburg Police Captain Monterey Moody did not have to kill her son.

"He could have shot him in the leg or something," Annie Clyde. "He didn't have to shoot him in the back, and shoot him in the face. And then Moody could have called backup. He didn't call no backup."

Annie Clyde said she thinks her son Tracy's death was racially motivated, and that Captain Moody had issues before with her son.

Tracy Clyde was wanted for Saturday evening's violent armed robbery of Karen Jacobs. Police say Clyde dragged her into her front yard, hit her five to six times in the eye, and stole $200 and her prescription pills.

Monday Police got a tip that Clyde was hiding in a house on Pine Street. About 4 p.m. investigators say Captain Moody was searching the vacant home when he and Clyde fought.

"And during that altercation shots were fired and Mr. Clyde was struck and succumbed to his injuries," said GBI Special Agent in Charge Danny Jackson. "The GBI knows that Moody tried to use his taser, but investigators think Clyde took it and hit Moody with it.

"He had some lacerations to his head and to his face," said Leesburg Police Chief Charles Moore, "and bite marks on his arms and his shoulders."

GBI Agents are investigating the fatal shooting, and ask the community for patience.

"People just bear with us and understand that everything is going to be done like it needs to be done," said Moore.

But Annie Clyde says she doesn't think her son will get justice.

"I doubt it," said Clyde. "I don't trust none of them.  Because all the police try to cover up stuff. All of them.
Captain Moody has moved from his home for his protection.

Leesburg Police did complete all the required steps to take in a police involved shooting. They had another agency, the Lee County Sheriff's Office, guard the house and the evidence until the GBI arrived to handle the investigation, who assure the community that it will be done fairly.

GBI agents say the autopsy on Clyde will be completed tomorrow.

Annie Clyde says they have made no plans yet for her son's funeral.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.