UPDATE: Deadly microwave was not plugged in

Published: Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM EDT|Updated: Oct. 24, 2012 at 10:45 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Jimmy Roddy was heating up his lunch Saturday when the incident happened
Jimmy Roddy was heating up his lunch Saturday when the incident happened

WORTH CO., GA (WALB) - A 25-year-old Sylvester man died shortly after he was electrocuted while working on his microwave

Jimmy Roddy was heating up his lunch Saturday when the incident happened.  The microwave was shorting out, so Roddy went to fix it.

Police first said the microwave was still plugged in when he was hit with electricity.

Tuesday, they corrected that statement: "The microwave oven that Mr. Roddy was working on at the time of his death was not plugged in," said Detective Lt. Ronnie Graddy.

"It is apparent that the capacitor that can hold as much as 4,000 volts provided the current that caused Mr. Roddy's death.  The capacitor can remain charged with dangerous electrical energy for hours, even days, after the microwave oven plug is pulled from the wall outlet."

Roddy managed to walk into his sister's room and tell her what happened before he collapsed. He later died at the hospital.

Family members say they are shocked by the tragic accident, and Roddy will be missed.

"He was just unbelievable, there was nothing he wouldn't do, he would take time out to sit and listen, anything," said Clifford Chester, Victim's First Cousin.

His cousin says he had just left to get lunch when it happened.

Roddy leaves behind a four-year-old son.

Here is the full press release from the Sylvester Police Department

On October 13, 2012 at 12:53 a.m., the Sylvester Police Department was dispatched to 508 West Pinson Street in Sylvester, Georgia in reference to a subject that had been electrocuted.

Upon arrival, Sylvester Police Officers found 25 year old, Jimmy Lee Roddy, lying unresponsive in a bedroom.

Sylvester Officers began CPR on the individual until Worth County EMS arrived.

Mr. Roddy was transported to the Phoebe Worth hospital where he was pronounced dead upon arrival.

Apparently Mr. Roddy was working on a microwave in the kitchen area of the residence that was still plugged in.

The sister of the deceased heard a loud pop sound and then Mr. Roddy walked into the room stating that he shocked himself before collapsing. This case is ruled an accidental electrocution.

Copyright 2012 WALB.  All rights reserved