Advertisement

Colquitt Co. fire leaves couple homeless

Published: Dec. 27, 2011 at 9:57 PM EST|Updated: Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:22 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

NORMAN PARK, GA (WALB) - A Colquitt County couple is forced to start over after a Christmas weekend fire destroyed everything they owned.

They have no insurance to help replace it.

Firefighters say an electrical problem in the kitchen caused the Norman Park home to burn to the ground.

This is all that's left of Tommy and Sarah Greene's home on 319 North in Norman Park. "3200 square foot to this room in a matter of hours. A lifetime of work," said Tommy Greene.

Firefighters say the fire started late Friday night in the kitchen. "I had retired for bed and heard sounds like maybe somebody was trying the enter the house. So we went out to investigate it and that's when we discovered the fire was started in the kitchen," said Greene.

Greene, a Vietnam Veteran, says the fire was already fully involved at this point so they couldn't go back for anything. "I came out without any clothes on. I had a rain suit outside and that's what I put on until clothes could come from family."

Greene says he had the same insurance on the home for 20 years, but it expired in November. "This was like supposed to be the golden years, but like I said it just went up in smoke so we just start over. Just like we did in the beginning."

The Red Cross was on the scene and have been doing their best to help. "And the family was taken care of somewhat. Of course we couldn't replace everything, but we did provide lodging for the family because they did not have a place to stay," said Red Cross Volunteer Sam Stephens.

The Greenes have been at the Motel 6 in Tifton.

They say they would appreciate donations of any kind, but the best thing right now would be plywood and other building supplies.

If you would like to help the Greenes, call the Red Cross in Moultrie at 985-6924.

Copyright 2011 WALB. All rights reserved.