Former COVID-19 patient talks about long road to recovery

She was hospitalized for 72 days
Published: Mar. 10, 2022 at 10:32 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ALBANY, Ga. (WALB) - In 2020, COVID-19 hit the Albany area drastically, with the city becoming a national hotspot.

WALB’s Jim Wallace sat down with Laconyea Lynn. She was one of the earliest COVID-19 patients at Phoebe Putney two years ago on Thursday, the anniversary when you went into the hospital.

“Ms. Lynn, can you tell me what you remember about that?” asked Wallace.

“It’s just like it was yesterday. It’s still memories and thoughts that are in my mind on how that day started. It started when I was at work, and my body was getting more tired and tired throughout the day and as the day went on while I was working. So I decided to go to the convenient care. And I finally found one that would be open by the time I got off work that evening at 8 p.m., and it was the one directly behind the hospital. Just by going in the convenient care changed my life for I think the next few months after that. They changed my life completely,” Lynn replied.

“You had a very rough case of COVID-19. You were on a ventilator for almost six weeks,” said Wallace.

“Yes, they say it was six weeks. I went in on March 10, and I remember waking up on April 24. That was the date that she was writing on the board. And all kinds of thoughts came through my mind. What was going on? How everything that I had was missed? I had missed Easter. I had missed graduation, was coming up. Just by being in the hospital. I had missed Mother’s Day. It was just a fact when I woke up, didn’t know what COVID was. Because all I remember telling me in the beginning was I had pneumonia. And that my oxygen was low. Waking up and them asking me did I know what COVID was. And I was like no, I didn’t. Then they were explaining it to me. And I was still dumbfounded. Because it wasn’t here. When I want to sleep, it wasn’t here in the United States. It was only over in China. And it had done took the world over by the time I woke up. It was all over the United States. All over the world actually at that time,” said Lynn.

Lynn was hospitalized for 72 days.

Wallace asked, “do you have any idea how you caught COVID-19?”

“I still to this day don’t know. We actually joked about that at Bible Study last night. Cause we all know what this means to us. We lost a lot of church members and family members and friends behind all this,” Lynn said.

“Well, after 2 years how are you feeling today?” asked Wallace.

“I’m getting better. I’m not 100%. Don’t think I’ll ever be 100% until I go home to my Creator. But then my muscles, my bones are still weak. My breathing is not where it needs to be.”

“Laconyea Lynn, we are glad to see you are mending up, and we hope the best for you here on the two-year anniversary of your coming down with COVID-19.”

“You are so welcome. I am glad to be here. Very thankful and grateful for everything that I went through. I am able to share my story with them. And just tell how I was taken care of. And appreciate those that are around you. Because they are not promised. No one’s life is promised and I’m just grateful to still be here,” said Lynn.

Copyright 2022 WALB. All rights reserved.