Update: 1 killed at Albany mobile home park fire
ALBANY, Ga. (WALB) - A fire was reported at an Albany mobile home park Tuesday afternoon.
It happened at Albany Dunes, 1001 Dunes Ave, shortly after 1 p.m.
Albany Fire Department officials said one person was killed in the fire and was the only person involved.
Christian Jackson died in the fire, according to Dougherty County Michael Fowler.
Officials said when fire department crews arrived, the structure was 80% involved and was a total loss.
Officials said the fire was caused by unattended cooking.
Neighbors say they could hear screams from the house when the fire broke out.
Now, his family is coping with the aftermath of this tragic accident.
Malachi Jordan, who was at the scene with his other family members, was too distraught to talk. But he was able to speak for the family and let me know how they are coping.
“Like he’s crippled and stuff like he doesn’t do anything by himself. He always got to be watched, you know and like, he can’t do anything by himself he always got to be watched. But we all hurt from the situation like my cousin they all here we all upset at the situation, but we all hurt from the situation, my cousin just passed away,” said Jordan.
“Prayers on everything, and after a while, and I don’t know how we are going to pull through from this, but we are going to find a way to keep our head up and everything,” said Jordan.
Jackson’s family says he’s disabled and couldn’t take care of himself on his own.
Neighbors say they tried their best to go inside during the fire. But the flames engulfed the home to the point where no one could get in before the fire department came to put it out.
Officials say the fire is still under investigation.
Copyright 2022 WALB. All rights reserved.