Police: Suspect identified, charged following Dougherty Co. domestic dispute

Police: Suspect identified, charged following Dougherty Co. domestic dispute

DOUGHERTY CO., Ga. (WALB) - The situation of a man who barricaded himself in Dougherty County ended peacefully, according to the Albany Police Department (APD).

A peaceful ending after an individual barricaded himself inside his home surrenders to Dougherty County Police Officers....

Posted by Albany Ga Police Department on Monday, September 16, 2019

APD S.W.A.T. was called to the scene of a domestic dispute situation in Dougherty County.

Authorities said Vic Ransom, 60, held his sister and mother at gunpoint inside a home near Lovers Lane and North Jefferson Street Monday evening.

Dougherty County Spokesperson Wendy Howell said no shots were fired.

Howell said Ransom then barricaded himself in the house.

Victor Ray Ransom
Victor Ray Ransom (Source: Dougherty Co. Sheriff)

Dougherty County Police (DCP) said he surrendered around 6:30 p.m. by coming out of the house and turning himself in.

Ransom was taken to Dougherty County Jail and charged with one count of aggravated assault, one count of terroristic threats and two counts of exploiting the elderly.

No one was injured in the incident, Howell said.

Dougherty County Police and Albany S.W.A.T. were working together to resolve the situation, Howell told WALB.

APD had to reroute traffic past N Jefferson Street and Lovers Lane.

Lee County officials also assisted with the incident.

Residents react to barricade situation

It was a nearly two-hour dispute with Albany S.W.A.T., Dougherty County Police and the Lee County Sheriff’s Office.

“At first I thought it was the people down the road,” said neighbor Lester Harrison, but for him, it was closer to home. “But then my wife was like, ‘No, its the Ransom’s right across the street, right across the street.’ And I was like, ‘Vic?’”

Harrison said he wouldn’t think Ransom would do something like this.

“He had been taking care of his mother out there for years,” Harrison explained.

Ransom’s sister and mother managed to get out of the home.

Harrison said that’s when he tried to help.

“I could go in and try to talk to him because I felt like I could talk to him but I didn’t want the situation to get out of hand. I called him on my phone while the S.W.A.T. team was out there,” said Harrison.

Though he didn’t get an answer, moments later, Ransom turned himself over to police.

Harrison said he’s grateful it didn’t go any further.

“I knew him well enough to know that he wouldn’t have harmed anybody, not us anyway,” Harrison said.

Copyright 2019 WALB. All rights reserved.