ALBANY, Ga. (WALB) - It's time to Clear the Shelters! This year's nationwide Clear the Shelters adoption event will be held August 17.
People across South Georgia will be able to adopt pets with little or no fees.
The nationwide day of action last year literally emptied dozens of animal shelters across the country and inspired local communities to take action and open their homes to animals in need.
If you would like a local animal shelter to join this year's cause, reach out and ask them to call WALB for how to register.
For more information about the national pet adoption drive, visit www.ClearTheShelters.com or call Kristi Bratcher at (229) 343-6884.
Here is the full list of shelters in the WALB viewing area participating:
- Albany Humane Society, 1705 West Oa, 10-a.m.-4p.m., (229) 888-7387.
- Best Friends Humane Society, 787 Ephesus Church Rd., 10 a.m.-2 p.m., (22() 777-7774.
- Lee County Animal Shelter, 101 Mossy Dell Rd., 9 a.m.-2 p.m., (229) 759-6037.
- Humane Society of Moultrie-Colquitt County, 1412 1st St. NE, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., (229) 985-5463.
- Thomasville-Thomas County Humane Society, 15149 US 19, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., (229) 228-0613.
- Humane Society of Valdosta-Lowndes County, 1401 N Patterson St., 11 a.m.-3 p.m., (229) 247-3266.
The Humane Society of Terrell County is doing online adoptions from 8 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.
You can also follow the effort on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram by using the hashtag #ClearTheShelters.
WALB invites everyone to join this cause and help out in any way they can.