3-year-old Janiyah Brooks’ family speaks out

Updated: May. 21, 2019 at 12:23 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ALBANY, Ga. (WALB) - The family of 3-year-old Janiyah Brooks announced her funeral will be held Saturday at 2 p.m.

Brooks’ family said they wanted nothing more than to keep her alive and well, but understood that it was time for her to rest after so much pain.

”I gave her, her last kiss, I held her hand, when she took her last breath,” Linda Faison, Brooks’ grandmother, said.

A family trying to find peace during a time of sorrow after the death of their 3-year-old loved one.

Brooks died after being taken off life support, injured by what the Albany Police Department (APD) called a “heinous crime” of child abuse.

“It was a hard decision, but not a selfish one,” Linda Faison said.

“She had brain damage, wounds, and broken fingers, it was a lot,” Daryl Faison, Brooks’ father, said.

Crystal Brooks, 19, Janiyah’s mother, and Gregory Parker, Crystal Brooks’ boyfriend, were charged in the case.

APD’s Family Protection Unit said Janiyah had injuries to her genital area, ribs and old wounds as well.

“She don’t have to be afraid now. Hear steps coming toward her and saying ‘well what’s going to happen now?’” Linda Faison said.

”And we talked with her and said, ‘We’re gonna let you go. We gonna let you go.’ Because now, you don’t have to wake up in the middle of the night or any time of the day and wonder when is it going to be the next time? When am I going to have to go through this the next time?” Linda Faison said.

Brooks’ grandmother said the damage could not be undone despite their prayers.

“Even if she had survived, we all think about all the doctors psychologists, psychiatrists or what have you, to help bring her back whole, I don’t believe that she would have ever been whole,” Linda Faison said.

Daryl Faison was at work when he got the call about his daughter and rushed to be by her side. He said the call will always haunt him.

“At 12:15 p.m. she went to be with the lord, and I think it was best for us, because she won’t have to struggle no more, be beaten, heartbroken,” Daryl Faison said.

”Now, she’s in the arms of our Maker and our creator,” Linda Faison said. “I believe she’s in the arms of Jesus right now. And what better place to be where there’s no harm can ever come to you again?”

The family is preparing to say their final goodbyes as they lay Heaven’s newest angel to rest.

“I wish I was there to be there for her, and take her in my arms like I was supposed to, but I couldn’t,” Linda said.

Janiyah’s body was sent for an autopsy Monday and results are expected to surface in the coming days.

Both Crystal Brooks and Parker remain in jail.

Copyright 2019 WALB. All rights reserved.