AFD warns of dangers of lighting candles and burners in vacant homes

Albany Fire Department Home Fire

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - The Albany Fire Department (AFD) is warning of the dangers of lighting candles or burners in vacant homes after a fire earlier this week.

A man tried to cook food in his brother’s home where no one was living in, but there was no electricity in the house.

This led to a fire destroying the home on East Residence Avenue around 2 a.m. Tuesday morning.

AFD Investigator Sam Harris said they often see people try to start fires to cook food or lighting candles to see in vacant homes with no power, which he said can lead to fires like the one this week.

Albany Fire Department Investigator, Sam Harris. (Source: WALB)
Albany Fire Department Investigator, Sam Harris. (Source: WALB)

“The biggest thing we’re always concerned with is the safety of these people and thus we always ask the citizens if they see people going in these structures to stop, take note and call," Harris said. "We’re concerned about these people losing their lives, as well as the property owner’s property.”

You can call 311 if you see any people going inside vacant buildings.

Copyright 2019 WALB. All rights reserved.