Firefighters warn about electrical fires
ALBANY, GA (WALB) - After several fires in Albany in recent weeks, firefighters are urging homeowners to be aware of electrical problems that can lead to house fires.
The Albany Fire Department’s Fire Prevention experts say that electrical issues in your home can turn dangerous in just seconds. Firefighters say one danger point everyone needs to be concerned about is extension cords. They say running large appliances with extension cords can overload circuits.
South Georgians too often “put a lot of things into the extension cord, or they will overload circuit, surge protectors," said Assistant Chief Eugene Anderson. "Or have a surge protector that doesn’t have voltage protection.”
Firefighters also say if your electrical system keeps tripping breakers, you should have it checked by a professional electrician. It’s still winter and South Georgians will be running multiple heaters again soon, and firefighters say that can lead to electrical fires.
Copyright 2019 WALB. All rights reserved.