ALBANY, GA (WALB) - The Southwest Georgia Health District is offering free HIV testing in Dougherty and surrounding counties.
You can get tested every day, but if you want it done quicker, experts said you can go to the Dougherty County Health Department every Tuesday from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
AIDSVu website data shows that nearly 50,000 people are living with HIV in Georgia.
Experts said nationwide, one in seven people don’t know their status.
“We want to make it easy, accessible and do it in a non-threatening environment,” said Remy Hutchins, the infectious disease program director. “If you don’t want to do it here, you can do it at your private provider’s office. There may be a cost there but we just want to encourage everybody to get tested.”
The Southwest Georgia Health District serves 14 counties.
To find out how you can get tested, contact your county health department. Below is a list of phone numbers for the Southwest Georgia Health District:
- Baker County: (229) 734-5226
- Calhoun County: (229) 849-2515
- Colquitt County: (229) 589-8464
- Decatur County: (229) 248-3055
- Dougherty County: (229) 638-6424
- Early County: (229) 207-0049
- Grady County: (229) 377-2992
- Lee County: (229) 759-3014
- Miller County: (229) 758-3344
- Mitchell County: (229) 355-3081
- Seminole County: (229) 495-6590
- Terrell County: (229) 352-4277
- Thomas County: (229) 226-4241
- Worth County: (229) 777-2150