Your pest control company can't kill dust mites but we can!
House dust mites are microscopic bugs that primarily live on dead skin cells regularly shed from humans and their animal pets. Dust mites are harmless to most people. They don't carry diseases, but they can cause allergic reactions in asthmatics and others who are allergic to their feces.
The wheeze-inducing proteins are digestive juices from the mite gut which are quite potent. An exposure to the mites in the first, crucial year of life can trigger a lifelong allergy. There is no cure, only prevention. One must control house dust mite levels.
Since dust mites are present all year round, the symptoms of the allergy can be present at any time of the year, but are worse in months and seasons when the house is closed and the indoor humidity and temperatures are high (which, depending upon the household's use of heating and air conditioning, can be any time of the year).
The dried dust mite feces becomes airborne when someone walks over a rug, sits down in a chair, or shakes the bed clothes, making allergic person's symptoms worse. Dust mites love warm, humid conditions, above 70 degrees F and 50% humidity. Keeping the thermostat in the house below 70 degrees F and the humidity level at 45% will allow the mites to dry out for lack of moisture in the air. A whole house dehumidifier will maintain proper humidity levels in the home and also create many other benefits.
To learn more about a whole house dehumidifier please click here.