Rhema Word International Ministries Inc. (formerly Rhema Word Worship Center Inc./Williams Springs Baptist Church), was originally a prayer house. It was organized as a church in 1935. The first deacons, Maze Stadum, Luke Gilbert, Porter Fields, and Pledge Norman, were men of vision and faith. Rev. R.L. Hampton was called as the first pastor. Later other deacons were ordained, Thedo Merritt, Robert Bennett, Tom Weston, Morris Simmons, Will Jackson and Hardy Salyer. Rev. Hampton served faithfully until March 18, 1949.
The church, then called Rev. J.D. Ousley as pastor. He served until May 6, 1960.
On October 6, 1960, the church called Rev. Samuel Wells. He worked diligently and was instrumental in starting the church's building fund. Rev. Wells resigned in 1966 to work in the Civil Rights Movement.
The church then called Rev. O.Blakely as pastor. Under his leadership, much of the present structure was built. He served until 1972.
In 1972, Rev. Howard K. James was called as pastor. During his tenure, there were many improvements made. The church was air-conditioned and carpeted. Also, the kitchen annex was added. He served faithfully until October 2, 1989.
Presently, Bishop Victor L. Powell is our Sr. Pastor. He was called in 1990. We have been truly blessed under his pastorate. Physically, there has been an increase in membership; but most importantly is the spiritual growth. Under his leadership several major projects have been completed: the sanctuary was remodeled, new pews were purchased and the front foyer was enclosed. Under his leadership a baptismal pool was added in 1998.
We realize that we have come this far by faith, and now Bishop Powell has brought us into the 21st century with a vision. As he continues to seek God for wisdom we continue to grow and move forward. In February 1997 we changed our name to Rhema Word Worship Center. We added a stat-of-the-art sanctuary which seats 300, purchased sound equipment, added new offices and a conference room, created a multipurpose room and named it in honor of Mrs. Mercedes Washington, one of our oldest members. As time moves on God continues to unfold the vision and now we can see that he is calling us to the nations. As God unfolds the vision we must go with His flow. Because he is calling us to be a Multicultural International Ministry our name must reflect that. So once again, we changed our name. Our name is now Rhema Word International Ministries Incorporated. This truly is a reflection of who we are.