LEE CO., GA (WALB) - Around 78 Lee County homes experienced an unexpected power surge Wednesday.
Sumter Electric Membership Cooperation said they were making improvements to a substation when the surge happened.
Lee County Resident Paul Torre got a call Wednesday saying there was an unexpected power surge and that his home may have been affected.
When he got home, he discovered some of his appliances were fried.
"I found that there were three breakers blown. My refrigerator components don't work and also my dishwasher doesn't work 100 percent at all. And also the microwave doesn't heat up, it comes on and also the circuit board doesn't work either," explained Torre.
Greg Crowder with Sumter EMC said the power surge happened between Lovers Lane and Grave Springs Road. He said they are working with customers who had electronics damaged.
Torre said he never thought this would happen to him.
"You know, I've heard of it before, but I guess it's just like anything else, you don't ever think it's going to happen to you. We did lose some food because the refrigerator wasn't operating," said Torre.
Torre estimates the cost of damage is between $3,500 and $4,000.
Even with all the damage, Torre can still find a bright spot.
"But it didn't mess up the stove, it just messed up everything else," said Torre.
On Thursday, Sumter EMC said they've been in contact with everyone who had damage.
Torre said he has submitted a claim to Sumter EMC.