Motion hearing in South GA mass murder case continued

Motion hearing in South GA mass murder case continued
The motion hearing for Jeffrey Peacock has been continued again. (Source: WALB)

COLQUITT CO., GA (WALB) - WALB is learning more about a continuance order in the case of accused mass murderer Jeffrey Peacock, originally scheduled to appear in court Wednesday.

WALB was told on Tuesday that the hearings are delayed because of a clerical issue with the state bar.

Peacock changed attorney's back in January, this was the first scheduled motion hearing since then.

The September hearings were rescheduled for February and in February - Peacock's new attorneys filed a motion to continue them once again until they were rescheduled for this week.

This May 2 hearing was for the judge to hear the defense's motion to dismiss the indictment due to an unconstitutional composition of the grand jury.

A grand jury is made up of randomly computer generated citizens from the community in which the case is being tried.

The grand jury is to match the race, gender, age, and sex make up of the community.

Then that grand jury will decide whether to issue an indictment.

Since last seeing Peacock in court, he gained the new attorney on his case after his former attorney resigned.

The February hearings were postponed for the new attorney to familiarize himself with the case.

The latest order filed in the case is a protective order to seal the names, birthdays and addresses of all jury members.

May 15 will mark two years since the murders, in May of 2017, during the one year mark WALB broke the case down from what has happened so far.

This case has gained a lot of attention not just from people in Colquitt County, but all over South Georgia.

The families of Jonathan Edwards, Alicia Norman, Jones Pidcock, Reid Williams and Jordan Croft told WALB they plan to be at all hearings in the case of their loved ones and ask for privacy and prayers through the process.

Copyright 2018 WALB. All rights reserved.