Cook Co. deputy recovers from first, second-degree burns - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Cook Co. deputy recovers from first, second-degree burns

Deputy Chad McDaniel's said he is recovering well with the help of his family and friends. (Source: WALB) Deputy Chad McDaniel's said he is recovering well with the help of his family and friends. (Source: WALB)
Deputy McDaniel was grilling at Cook Elementary on April 13 for the Kicks Program Graduation Ceremony. (Source: WALB) Deputy McDaniel was grilling at Cook Elementary on April 13 for the Kicks Program Graduation Ceremony. (Source: WALB)
COOK CO., GA (WALB) -

A Cook County deputy is recovering from first and second-degree burns to his face and arms. 

Cook Middle School Resource Officer Chad McDaniel was burned at Cook Elementary School when the deputy was putting hot dogs on the grill after a graduation ceremony. 

"He is the life of the party here, he's everybody's favorite," said Deputy Thomas Morris with the Cook County Sheriff's Office. 

Morris works with McDaniel and said that they have a good relationship. He said when he heard about the incident, it was a shock to everyone. 

"It's literally just like your own brother getting hurt," said Morris.

McDaniel was grilling at Cook Elementary on Friday April, 13 at a school ceremony.

"I smelled the grill had went out, I could smell the propane, so I checked it and everything went out," explained McDaniel.

He said he thought he let the grill air out long enough.

"And then when I went to go light it again, it just blew up on my face and arms and stuff," said McDaniel.

McDaniel was taken to Tift Medical, then airlifted to the burn unit in Augusta. 

He had first and second degree burns on his arms and face. 

Even in his pain and discomfort, he said he is looking forward to the weeks ahead. 

"I'm ready to go back to the school because I wanna see all of my kids. They are all like my babies, and I know all of them miss me," said McDaniel. 

With the summer months approaching, more and more people will be using their outdoor grills.

It is important that you know how to properly operate your grill before using it. 

Adel Fire Chief Jimmy Walker said you should call your local fire department to inspect your grill and make sure it is safe to use. He recommends that grills be at least 10 feet from your home.

Walker said you should also be sure to keep a close eye on children when using your grill. 

"When you're lighting the grill make sure the lid is always open. Turn your gas on, if you smell any leaks, turn it back off and start looking for leaks with soap and water. If it doesn't, go ahead and light your grill. If it doesn't light the first time, wait five minutes before you try again. You need to let the gas decimate before starting again," explained Walker.

Walker also said that if you sense a problem with your grill, don't hesitate to call your local fire department for help.

Copyright 2018 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly