SYLVESTER, GA (WALB) - A family's home went up in flames before dawn Thursday on the west side of Sylvester.
The family wasn't home when the fire started and neighbors called 911.
The fire had been burning undetected when the Sylvester Fire Department arrived and began fighting the blaze, which was through the roof at around 4 a.m.
The Powell family lost everything in the fire early Thursday morning.
"It's devastating. We have only been here for two weeks. We lost everything we had," resident of the home Charity Powell.
Powell said she smelled smoke from the basement earlier in the day. But after a thorough check by firefighters, the family was given the all clear to stay at the house.
As it turns out, everything wasn't fine.
"And we went and stayed with my sister last night because I had a bad feeling," said Powell. "It didn't feel right. And at 4 o'clock this morning and the house in flames."
When the family returned to the house, everything was gone.
Fire investigators told the family if they would have stayed in the house, they wouldn't have made it out.
To Powell, that is a haunting thought.
"It's something that I think about a lot," said Powell. "To know that they have said, 'If y'all would of been here. None of you would of made it.'"
Powell said her biggest regret is not grabbing her family photos.
"I wish I would of took the kids pictures," said Powell.
Even though the home is a total loss, Powell is thankful her family is safe.
"That's the most important thing, but everything else is gone," said Powell.
The three-bedroom two-bath brick home, built in 1979, was a total loss.
The Fire Marshal's Office has confirmed this was an electrical fire that started in the attic.
For those interested in helping the family, they are a husband and wife and two boys. The boys are 12 husky 16-18 husky. They wear a small in men's shirts and 10-12 in boys. The husband wears a large in shirts and 32/30 in pants. The wife wears a medium shirt and size 4 in pants.
Their phone number is (229) 326-9574.