LEESBURG, GA (WALB) - A Leesburg man has been charged as part of a multi-state investigation that focused on persons who possess and distribute child pornography and those who are sexually exploiting children in other ways using technology and the internet.
According to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, Karl K. Strenth, Jr., 28, of Leesburg, is one of 76 people that are in custody and facing charges as part of Operation Southern Impact II.
The operation was coordinated between eight states including Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia. Investigators targeted those seeking out and distributing the most violent child pornography involving infants and toddlers.
During Operation Southern Impact II 13 children were rescued or identified as victims.
The GBI said that of the 76 arrests, 34 people were arrested in Georgia and that many of those arrests involved possession and/or distribution of child pornography. Six of those arrested in Georgia traveled for the purpose of meeting and having sex with a minor. One arrest in Georgia involved "sextortion" which is trend involving subjects that obtain sexually explicit photos of minors and then threaten or blackmail the victim for additional obscene images or videos, according to the GBI.
The GBI said that investigators found instances in which those arrested had no prior criminal history, were working in positions of trust or jobs where interaction with children is common.
Below is a list of those arrested as a direct result of Operation Southern Impact II and their occupation if it was available to investigators:
- Wesley Bunker, 27, Rome, GA, retail store employee
- Tony Burton, 52, B/M, Lawrenceville, GA, unemployed
- Eric A. Burgess, 17, Suwannee, GA, student
- Jason R. Cash, 34, Monroe, GA, electrician
- Anthony L. Crane, 39, Cartersville, GA, construction worker
- Jeffery Declouet, 46, Suwannee, GA, IT support employee
- Mark D. Driver, 36, Fort Valley, GA, truck stop employee
- Kyam Forsyth, 25, Eatonton, GA, unemployed
- Bill E. Garner, 54, Resaca, GA, unemployed
- John Garrett, 62, Roswell, GA, former manager of commercial bus service
- John P. Hart, Jr., 63, Sandersville, GA, unemployed
- Aaron C. Helton, 36, Adairsville, GA, unknown
- Bryan E. Holloway, 45, Winston, GA, truck driver
- Mark Horn, 31, Dallas, GA, vocational training non-profit employee
- Gordon L. Ingebritsen, 53, Duluth, GA, unemployed
- Shawn M. Kemp, 31, Cedartown, GA, postal employee
- Nicholas Knight, 29, Dublin, GA, unemployed
- Jeffery Lance, 26, Silver, Creek, GA, school board employee/church youth director
- Donald Allen McFall, 31, Columbus, GA, unemployed
- Stephen McGatha, 49, Cedartown, GA, unknown
- John Clark Miller, 57, Winder, GA, glass company technician
- Jonathan Okelly, 37, Douglasville, GA, unknown
- Andrew Orr, 34, Marietta, GA, part-time freighter
- Daniel Pacheco, 27, H/M, Tucker, GA, disc jockey
- Hershell Kyle Pirkle, age 29, restaurant worker
- Eric Wolfgang Rauth, 35, Elgin, Illinois, unknown
- Benjamin F. Smith, 41, Byron, GA, civilian employee at AFB
- Bryan F. Stisher, 35, Roswell, GA, online tutor
- Karl K. Strenth, Jr., 28, Leesburg, GA, unknown
- Thomas C. Toler, 54, St. Mary’s, GA, human resources
- Darren Alan Vincent, 47, Trion, GA, manufacturing worker
Three other people, all from Valdosta, were also arrested not directly related to child pornography but rather as a result of the investigative actions taken during Operation Southern Impact II:
- Darlene Johnson, 49, Valdosta, GA, unemployed
- Michael Thor, 45, Valdosta, GA, unemployed
- Stephon B. Gary, 31, Valdosta, GA, unemployed
In total, 38 search warrants and 12 knock and talks were conducted in Georgia during Operation Southern Impact II.