ALBANY, GA (WALB) - If you haven't gotten a flu shot, there's still time!
Phoebe nurses were giving out free flu shots to anyone that wanted one inside the Albany Mall Tuesday.
One of the nurses said people followed them in from the parking lot before they had even set up at 12:30 p.m.
The flu has reached a crisis level in the state and across the country, and health officials say events like these can help keep people well.
"Well the flu is an epidemic and it has been a dangerous one this year, and this flu shot, if you take it today even if you've been exposed and you might get a little sick, it will protect you from being very sick," said Joni Patten, Registered Nurse.
You can still get a shot if you haven't already.
The nurses will be at the mall until 5:30 p.m.
The Health District and Phoebe officials say you should follow the following advice to stay well:
- Avoid contact with people who have the flu.
- Seek medical attention quickly if you develop symptoms. Antiviral medication may shorten the severity and duration of the flu if you contract the illness.
- If you are sick, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone, except to get medical care or other necessities.
- Cover your nose and your mouth when you cough or sneeze.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if you are unable to wash your hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth and nose to prevent germs from spreading.
- Clean and disinfect frequently-touched surfaces and objects.