Crews battle Dougherty Co. house fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Crews battle Dougherty Co. house fire

(Source: WALB) (Source: WALB)
DOUGHERTY CO., GA (WALB) -

Firefighters spent almost an hour working to put out an early morning house fire at a Dougherty County home.

Fire crews arrived at a house in the 3900 block of Gravel Hill Road and found heavy smoke and flames.

The call came in around 4:30 a.m.

AFD Chief Jordan said the fire broke out around 4:15 a.m. inside the mother in law suite which is separate from the house. 

A family of five was at home at the time. Everyone got out safely with no injuries.

Investigator Sam Harris said that after an investigation, he determined the fire started in a hallway where a woodburning stove used to be.

"As the house had been renovated, the pipe that was where the carbon monoxide and the smoke escaped the house, it was vented into the chimney, and thus when they removed it they put a closet there and never covered the back opening in the back place of the fireplace," said Harris.

And Harris says because of that when the fire was lit and everyone fell asleep, the wood between the backside of the chimney and the closet caught on fire.

This caused about $20,000 in damage.

Copyright 2017 WALB. All rights reserved

Powered by Frankly