Albany firefighters battle house fire on North Haley Street

Albany firefighters battle house fire on North Haley Street
(Source: WALB)
(Source: WALB)
(Source:WALB)
(Source:WALB)

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - An Albany home sustained heavy fire and smoke damage Friday night when a candle's flame was apparently spread.

The fire started just before 8 p.m. at a home in the 500 block of North Haley Street.

Firefighters said the blaze is still under investigation, but apparently, a child had papers that caught on fire from a candle. Then while trying to extinguish the fire, bedding also caught fire, sparking a larger blaze.

Both persons in the home escaped unharmed, but about 30 percent of the home was destroyed by the fire.

Copyright 2017 WALB. All rights reserved.

Keep up with WALB on the go! 
Follow us on social  
   and download our apps!