THOMAS CO., GA (WALB) - The Georgia Bureau of Investigation responded to a fatal shooting involving a Thomas County deputy, Wednesday, around 7 p.m. near County Line Road.
Friday, the GBI identified the man who was killed as Jomekia Minter, 37.
The officer involved has been identified as Tyler Lamon, a member of the Thomasville-Thomas County SWAT Team
"The actual officers who were involved it's a difficult time, a very difficult time. It's probably, it is the hardest thing an officer has to go through," said Capt. Steve Jones, TCSO.
When deputies arrived on the scene they made contact with Minter, who they said was talking irrationally and carrying a pistol.
"The deputy who was first on scene knew him," said Jones.
Deputies said they tried de-escalating the situation but they said the man wouldn't respond or put the gun down.
Jones said de-escalation techniques is something all of the officers involved have been trained on.
"It teaches several techniques to deal with several different situations from the easiest of getting someone to comply to the most difficult which is what we had to deal with," said Jones.
GBI Investigators said deputies approached the man and shot at him with a bean bag round, but the shot was ineffective.
Investigators said that's when the man then pointed his gun at the SWAT officers.
At that time, an officer providing cover during the exchange fatally shot Minter.
Just days before the shooting, Minter posted to his Facebook page, referencing the drug squad on September 27th.
A post from September 30th says "I don't got nothing to live for no more."
Another post was made just several hours before the shooting on October 4th saying "time for me too hurt now."
The results of the autopsy on Minter's body were not released.
This now marks the second fatal deputy-involved shooting in Thomas County in the last three months.
Jones said although they are awaiting the conclusion of the GBI's investigation they have come together to review both incidents.
"I want to be completely correct when I tell you this but I don't believe we have made any policy changes since the first incident. We have done a lot of looking. We are waiting of course on the GBI's findings and once that comes back we will re-evaluate where we are," said Jones.
Both officers, a police officer and a sheriff's deputy, who were directly involved in the shooting are currently on administrative leave.
Since 2007, Minter has been arrested 19 times on 26 different charges, ranging from drug possession, to traffic violations, to armed robbery.
Thomas Co. Arrest History :
- 7/14/16 - Probation Violation - Possession of cocaine
- 04/15/16 - Driving while license suspended
- 03/12/16 - Possession of marijuana
- 10/18/15 - Driving vehicle when registration suspended
- 07/25/15 - Battery
- 06/17/15 - Parole Violation
- 02/06/15 - Parole Violation
- 08/23/13 - Obstruction of officers
- 08/23/13 - Possession of cocaine w/ intent
- 05/31/12 - Disorderly Conduct, Cutting striking another
- 04/17/12 - Driving while license suspended
- 04/17/12 - Possession drug-related object
- 04/17/12 - Giving false information to police
- 02/02/12 - Criminal damage to property, family violence
- 07/14/11 - Court Committed (Firearm by convicted felon )
- 08/21/09 - Armed Robbery
- 08/21/09 - Failure to appear
- 02/24/09 - Terroristic threats and acts for Sumter County
- 02/12/09 - Driving while license suspended
- 08/07/08 - Probation violation
- 05/01/08 - Driving without license
- 04/02/08 - Fleeing / attempting to elude
- 07/14/07 - Giving false name or false info to police
- 07/14/07 - Obstruction of officers
- 07/14/07 - Tampering with evidence
- 07/14/07 - Parole violation
Copyright 2017 WALB. All rights reserved.