ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Hurricane Irma is pounding closer to the U.S. and Georgia is expected to experience high winds and heavy rain.
In response to that, Georgia Power is monitoring the storm and offers tips for its customers.
- Before: Stay aware and check the weather forecast before heading outdoors. Turn off air conditioners as power surges can overload them and charge cell phones in case you lose power.
- During: Take safe shelter inside a sturdy building away from windows and doors. Avoid contact with conductors of electricity - appliances, metal objects and water.
- After: Never touch any downed or low-hanging wire, including telephone or TV wires that touch a power line. Never pull tree limbs off of power lines yourself or enter areas with debris or downed trees as downed power lines may be buried in wreckage.
Tools you can use year round:
- Outage Alerts – Subscribe to the free Georgia Power Outage Alert service to receive personalized notifications and updates via text message.
- Outage & Storm Center – Visit www.georgiapower.com/storm, to sign up for Outage Alerts, report and check the status of outages, and access useful safety tips and information. Customers can report and check the status of an outage 24 hours a day by contacting Georgia Power at 888-891-0938.
- Outage Map – Housed within the Outage & Storm Center, Georgia Power’s interactive Outage Map provides near real-time information, allowing users to see where outages are occurring across the state and track estimated restoration times.
- Georgia Power Mobile App – Download the Georgia Power mobile app for Apple and Android devices to access storm and outage information on the go.
- Follow @GeorgiaPower on Twitter for storm tips, outage updates, customer service and more.
- Emergency Plan and Kit – Build a family emergency plan and emergency supply kit.
Keep up with weather on the go!
For real time updates on weather in your area, download the WALB News and Weather apps.