VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) - The Southern Georgia Regional Commission (SGRC) said there has been a 28 percent increase in car crashes and fatalities from 2014 to 2016.
Lieutenant Adam Bembry with the Valdosta Police Department said accidents happen often because of traffic congestion, distracted driving and speeding.
"Anything that takes your attention away from the operation of that motor vehicle absolutely can be a contributing factor in getting into an accident," explained Bembry.
SGRC listed the top ten locations where accidents are happening in Valdosta.
The following list is in worst ranking order:
- North St. Augustine road at Norman Drive
- Gornto Road at North St. Augustine Road
- Baytree Road at Jerry Jones Drive
- Bemiss road at Inner Perimeter Road
- Inner Perimeter road at North Oak Street
- Baytree Road at Gornto Road
- Bemiss road at Northside Drive
- Country Club Drive at North Valdosta Road
- Country Club Drive at Jerry Jones Drive
- Country Club Drive at Eager Road
Insurance Agent Raymond Evans said an increase in claims, means an increase in rates.
"When there's more accidents, your rates are more likely, everybody knows, they're going to go up," said Evans.
Maureen Gunsolus, a mother of six said people should simply pay attention to the road.
"I think that people should be a lot more aware of what's going on when their driving. Try not to be distracted," said Gunsolus.
Copyright 2017 WALB. All rights reserved.