Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB) Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)
The fire began Sunday afternoon. (Source: WALB) The fire began Sunday afternoon. (Source: WALB)
Albany Fire Chief Sebon Burns reminds parents to hide lighters and matches from their children. (Source: WALB) Albany Fire Chief Sebon Burns reminds parents to hide lighters and matches from their children. (Source: WALB)
DOUGHERTY CO., GA (WALB) -

A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. 

According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

Dispatch responded to the fire shortly after 4:30 p.m. on Sunday. 

Officials said two boys were home at the time of the fire.

The incident report said the oldest child told police his 4-year-old brother was playing with a BBQ grill lighter when he went downstairs to get something to eat.

When he came back up, the room was on fire. 

Officials said the boy tried to put the fire out himself, but wasn't able to. 

That's when he ran down the street to a convenience store to call 911. 

The children who were in the home at the time of the fire are okay. 

The oldest child suffered minor burns. 

Albany Fire Chief Sebon Burns reminds parents to hide lighters and matches from their children. 

He said young kids have a natural curiosity in fires.  

"Just the fascination of starting the fire, it getting hot, the way it spreads," said Burns. "You know kids don't understand the consequences of even setting a piece of paper on fire. It could easily spread to something else."

Chief Burns encourages parents to have strict rules for children coming in contact with a lighter or matches. 

Copyright 2017 WALB. All rights reserved. 

Report an error Submit a tip to WALB News 10

Powered by Frankly