Surge protector shorts, sparks house fire on Nixon Drive in Alba - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Surge protector shorts, sparks house fire on Nixon Drive in Albany

A short in a surge protector sparked a fire on Nixon Drive on Thursday. (Source: WALB) A short in a surge protector sparked a fire on Nixon Drive on Thursday. (Source: WALB)
Firefighters estimated that the home sustained about $30,000 in damages. (Source: WALB) Firefighters estimated that the home sustained about $30,000 in damages. (Source: WALB)
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Albany firefighters responded to a house fire on Nixon Drive Thursday afternoon.

Fire investigators said the homeowner was moving materials around in a bedroom and moved a surge protector that shorted.

The electrical short sparked a fire in the heavily packed room.  

Fortunately, no one was injured.

Firefighters estimated that the home sustained about $30,000 in damages, with fire and smoke damage to the bedroom and adjoining hall.

Copyright 2017 WALB. All rights reserved. 

Report an error Submit a tip to WALB News 10

Powered by Frankly