Man allegedly impregnated 10-year-old girl - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Man allegedly impregnated 10-year-old girl

Nicholas Deon Thrash was no stranger to the young girl he's accused of molesting and impregnating. (Source: WISH/CNN) Nicholas Deon Thrash was no stranger to the young girl he's accused of molesting and impregnating. (Source: WISH/CNN)

MARION, IN (WISH/CNN) - Nicholas Deon Thrash was no stranger to the young girl he's accused of molesting and impregnating.

"It's not the type of person that you'd think would do something like this," said the girl's grandmother, who didn't provide her name.

In fact, he was living with the girl's mother.

Thrash was arrested Wednesday on 10 felony counts of child molestation, WTHR reported.

Extended family say they met Thrash multiple times.

"We invited him into our home. He helped my husband all he could," the girl's grandmother said.

But now he's behind bars, and family says the young girl is 20 weeks pregnant.

"Now her whole life has changed. She's scared, being this far along and having to carry this baby," the girl's grandmother said.

Family members are caring for the girl while her mother is in jail in connection with the case.

They say it's heartbreaking watching someone so young go through this.

"She comes out and asks, 'Can I get my Barbies?' I said, 'Of course you can.' She is still a little girl that wants to play that has to grow up overnight," the girl's grandmother said.

It's something that's not easy for this woman to talk about, but she says she wanted to, hoping this will inspire other parents to talk with their children, possibly preventing something like this from happening to another child.

"Teach your kids to have enough trust in you to come to you and say 'This is wrong. Help,'" said the grandmother.

Sandy Runkle, director of Prevent Child Abuse Indiana, said having those conversations with your kids is important. She said parents should also be cautious of adults who want to spend too much alone time with a certain child.

Runkle said about 90 percent of the time the abuser is someone the child knows and trusts.

The grandmother said Thrash was someone they trusted.

"I hope he gets what’s coming to him. He’s got to pay for this," said the grandmother.

Copyright 2017 WISH via CNN. All rights reserved.

• Raycom reportsRaycom reportsMore>>

VIDEO: Arkansas woman goes on racist rant at Walmart

Wednesday, May 24 2017 3:49 PM EDT2017-05-24 19:49:38 GMT
    Wednesday, May 24 2017 3:49 PM EDT2017-05-24 19:49:38 GMT
    CENTERTON, ARKANSAS (KHBS/KHOG/CNN) - A woman shopping in Walmart in Centerton, Arkansas, was the target of a racist rant from another shopper. Eva Hicks was on a normal grocery trip before turning down the medicine aisle at her local Walmart. That's why she encountered another female shopper who had choice words for her. "I encountered this lady that was on my way, and I asked her politely, you know, if I could pass," Hicks said. "I said excuse me, and she as being v...More >>

Family finds stranger in mom's grave

Wednesday, May 24 2017 1:11 PM EDT2017-05-24 17:11:29 GMT
    Wednesday, May 24 2017 1:23 PM EDT2017-05-24 17:23:07 GMT

Marguerite Lamb wanted to be buried next to her husband, but when they went to dig her grave last week they discovered, surprisingly, it was already occupied.

More >>

More >>

Puppies found in wreckage of tornado looking for home

Wednesday, May 24 2017 12:10 PM EDT2017-05-24 16:10:33 GMT
    Wednesday, May 24 2017 12:10 PM EDT2017-05-24 16:10:33 GMT

The puppies were born during a tornado that flattened their home.

More >>

The puppies were born during a tornado that flattened their home.

More >>