Two Valdosta blazes blamed on food left cooking - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Two Valdosta blazes blamed on food left cooking

The VFD (Source: WALB) The VFD (Source: WALB)
VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) -

Last night, the Valdosta Fire Department responded to two fires in less than two hours, and they're both blamed on folks leaving food cooking on the stove.

At 11:43 p.m., on April 20, the VFD was dispatched to 1316 Ponderosa Drive. Firefighters had the fire under control by 11:56 p.m. They conducted an aggressive search, and located and rescued an 8-year-old from one of the bedrooms.

The child was treated for smoke inhalation, transported to South Georgia Medical Center (SGMC) for precautionary reasons, and was released.

Smoke detectors were not working properly. The total damage to the property was $14,500.

Less than two hours later, VFD was dispatched to 1306 Cypress Street. Firefighters had the fire under control by 1:53 a.m. No people were injured, but one dog was rescued, and another one did not survive. There were no smoke detectors in the house, and there was $17,500 in property damage.

Georgia Power secured the utilities, the SGMC EMS assisted with Firefighter’s Rehab, the Valdosta Police Department handled crowd control.

 The American Red Cross for assisting the seven family members who were displaced on account of the two fire incidents. 

Copyright 2017 WALB. All rights reserved. 

Report an error | Submit a tip to WALB News 10

Powered by Frankly