ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Albany's first radio station has been off the air since a devastating storm that hit Albany on January 2, 2017, and will not return.
WGPC 1450AM, was struck dead center by powerful winds that twisted its 175 foot tall antenna tower in half, and put three trees on its studio building.
An official with Cumulus Radio, the Atlanta conglomerate that owns the station, confirmed that the station license has been voluntarily surrendered back to the Federal Communications Commission.
The likelihood that another operator would want to apply for, and then operate, a low-power AM station, in a small radio market, is practically nil.
The tower has been on this spot on Gillionville Road since the tornado of 1940, which devastated downtown Albany.
WGPC signed on in 1933, and was Albany's only radio station until 1941, when the Albany Herald Company put on WALB Radio.