ALBANY, GA (WALB) - As severe storms continue to roll through SWGA, many places have opened up to provide shelter for residents in need.
Good Samaritan Shelters January 21 - 22:
BEN HILL COUNTY:
- Ray City Senior Citizens Community Center; 1101 Patten Ave, Ray City, GA 31645; Contact: Cindy 229-507-7957
- James H. Rainwater Conference Center
- Springhead Church, 1102 Spring Hill Church Road
- First Assembly of God, 601 Massee Post Road
- Adel Presbyterian Church, 401 S Hutchinson Avenue
- Adel First Assembly of God located at 1601 Massee Post Road is a designated shelter, and those trying to find missing individuals are urged to contact the church.
- You can reach them at (229) 896-3935 or (229) 561-2875
- First Baptist Church of Adel located at 200 East 5th Street is also a designated shelter
- Contact them at (229) 561-1201
- A comfort station has been opened at the Worth County Community Center. NO ANIMALS. If you are in a mobile home and need or want to get out of the weather, please go to the comfort station. In the event of a tornado, a mobile home is NOT the safest place to be. Any other residences wanting to use the comfort station are more than welcome to.
- Countryside Animal Clinic is opening their kennels to any residence that is needing to go to the Comfort Station. They have limited space, but are willing to help as much as they can. Please call 229-776-3380 to make arrangements to drop your pets off before the weather becomes severe. This is for residences using the comfort station ONLY.
- As of now, both Tornado Safe Rooms are unlocked and open. If you or your family feel unsafe, please utilize this resource. The tornado safe rooms are located at 127 William Bowen Point (behind GSP Post 10), and 1601 N MLK Jr. Blvd (behind the Health Department). Please do not park and block the ambulances or the GSP Patrol Cars.
- East Albany Church of God (75-100); 216 Pine Bluff Road, Albany; Contact: 706-566-3450; 8 a.m. - until
- Raleigh White/New Seasons (40-60); 2804 Philips Drive, Albany; Contact: 229-432-022 (Partner Churches: FBC, Albany & FBC, Leesburg); 9 a.m. - until
- Albany Family Worship Center (50); 3024 Kensington Ct. Contact: Bobby Paul 434-0342; 8 a.m. - until
- Cutliff Grove Baptist Church (75-100); 835 W. Broad Ave. Contact: Juanita Nixon 344-3199; 8 a.m. - until
- The American Red Cross has opened a shelter at the Albany Civic Center
- There is also a comfort station at First Baptist Church of Putney
- It will have food and some blankets.
- It will be open until further notice, and can hold up to 50 people
- They will pick people up at the Flash Foods on Holly Drive
- Call them at (229) 376-2652
Albany City and county leaders have opened their emergency operations center downtown in the courthouse under this threat of severe weather.
They have also powered up the backup Emergency Operations Center at the fire training center on Honeysuckle Drive in case of lost power or damage downtown.
This list will be updated as additional shelters are announced.