DAY 9: FEMA representatives survey damaged areas - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

DAY 9: FEMA representatives survey damaged areas

(Source: WALB) (Source: WALB)
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Six different teams of FEMA officials are in Southwest Georgia Wednesday to survey the damage after the devastating storms on January 2nd.

"Because by us conducting a damage assessment it does not guarantee federal assistance will be distributed out," said FEMA Region IV Asst. Branch Manager Angela Grant.

Each federal team included a local person and a representative from GEMA.

They inventoried damage to private property in the Avenues area.

But, other teams working in Albany were capturing damage done to both private and public property, as well as the massive destruction to the city's utilities.

Once the teams finish their survey, we will know if federal aid will be made available to assist with the clean up.

The process was painstaking, as two federal emergency management agency employees took photographs and made notes.

A GEMA employee was with them, and Dougherty County's EMA Director Ron Rowe took them from home to home, surveying the private property damage in The Avenues.

"Once the damage assessment is conducted, we compile that information and turn that information over to the state. The state makes that determination whether they will request for a federal declaration," explained Grant.

"Now there will probably not be an answer today, but I think we can get through the assessments on Wednesday. Again, I don't know when an answer will come," said Rowe.

If the uninsured loss meets $14 million, federal resources will be made available to South Georgia.

Less than 1,000 homes are still without power.

Several crews, and officials are still out working to restore power, clear debris and protect areas impacted by the storm.

  • There are about 340 linemen from ECG and partnering cities and neighboring communities still working to restore power.
  • 27 debris crews are still clearing the streets.
  • 24 officers are working overnight to patrol affected areas.
  • All traffic signals are now operational, but five roads (not including alleys) are still closed
  • There is still one Red Cross shelter open at the Albany Civic Center

Governor Nathan Deal visited Albany Tuesday to tour the damage.

For those who need shelter or supplies, the Red Cross is still operating a shelter at the Albany Civic Center and doing one-on-one counseling to help with assistance

DCSS schools will be out until January 17th.

The board room is being opened up in the administrative building downtown so families can fill out route relocation forms with their temporary address. You can do this Wednesday or Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. or Friday from 9 a.m. to noon. 

The most current power outage map can be found here.

The city is operating a non-emergency help desk at 229-483-6226, 483-6227, and 483-6228.

The Red Cross assistance numbers are 229-891-7325 and 436-4845.

To review the progress so far, check back with these stories:

Day 1: Storm leaves widespread damage, power outages

Day 2: FAQ: Albany issues storm information list

Day 3: THE LIST: Everything you need to know about storm recovery

Day 4: Albany officials provide Friday storm update

AFTER THE STORM: Breaking down the paths of Monday's severe weather

Damage across SWGA after the storms

Day 5/6: City officials survey damage, conduct welfare checks

Day 7: Recovery efforts continue one week after storm

Day 8: Where we are over a week after the storms

Copyright 2017 WALB. All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Phoebe resident stays on to become physician

    Phoebe resident stays on to become physician

    Friday, June 23 2017 2:52 PM EDT2017-06-23 18:52:14 GMT
    (Source: WALB)(Source: WALB)

    Phoebe Putney Hospital will soon welcome a new doctor from its residency program.

    More >>

    Phoebe Putney Hospital will soon welcome a new doctor from its residency program.

    More >>
  • Long sentences given in 'pink revolver' robberies

    Long sentences given in 'pink revolver' robberies

    Friday, June 23 2017 1:48 PM EDT2017-06-23 17:48:25 GMT

    June 19 Ryshun Jackson plead guilty to armed robbery, 2 counts aggravated assault, possession of firearm during a felony, possession gun by minor, and cruelty to a child. Prosecutors say he robbed the Flash Foods on Liberty Expressway on July 27 2015 when he was 15 years old. He was given a 20 year total sentence, first 8 in prison with no parole.  This was one of the armed robberies using a pink revolver. June 12 Xavier Winbush plead guilty to robbery and possession of gun duri...

    More >>

     Ryshun Jackson plead guilty to robbing the Flash Foods on Liberty Expressway on July 27 2015 when he was 15 years old. 

    More >>
  • Coffee man wanted for beating pregnant woman surrenders

    Coffee man wanted for beating pregnant woman surrenders

    Friday, June 23 2017 10:49 AM EDT2017-06-23 14:49:04 GMT
    Antoine Maurice Miller (Source: Coffee Co. Sheriff)Antoine Maurice Miller (Source: Coffee Co. Sheriff)

    Antwoine Maurice Miller, 29, was booked into the Coffee County Jail, charged with one count of battery against a pregnant female, and one count of third degree cruelty to children. 

    More >>

    Antwoine Maurice Miller, 29, was booked into the Coffee County Jail, charged with one count of battery against a pregnant female, and one count of third degree cruelty to children. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly