ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Health experts say kids are more likely to overdose on prescription pills during the holidays.
Pharmacists at U Save It Pharmacy prepped medication bottles that will soon go into the hands of those who need to refill their prescription.
Hopefully, the medicine will be tucked away in a safe place where kids can't get to it, but Dougherty County EMS Director Greg Rowe said people often forget this important step during the holidays.
"You have family coming in with kids to the grandparents' home," said Rowe.
Or grandparents visiting their kids' home, even more room for those who take pills to make mistakes when they're out of their daily routine. "Kids can find a way to get into anything and they're just curious and pills today when you look at them a lot of them look like candy," said Rowe.
"The pain and agony of watching their child going through what they're going through and they're blaming themselves for all of that," said Rowe.
Albany Dougherty Drug Unit Lieutenant Carmelita Preston said most cases are accidental overdoses but some can be deemed negligent. "There's no actually no rule of thumb each case by case is different," said Preston.
To avoid it completely follow these guidelines: Keep them safely into a locked container keep them up high enough where children can't get to them. And if you have pills that you're no longer using you need to dispose of them.
"If we're not needed for these types of calls, that's wonderful, that's a good Christmas for us," said Rowe.
EMS said if you see an open pill bottle and a small child.
Inspect their mouth to see if there's white residue. Also call 911 and poison control immediately.