Firefighters warn of space heater fire dangers - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters warn of space heater fire dangers

Source WALB Source WALB
Source WALB Source WALB
Source WALB Source WALB
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Firefighters are urging South Georgians who use space heaters to think about fire safety.
There were four house fires in Dougherty County last week caused by space heaters, and in one of those fires a man died.

As the temperatures cool at night, many people use a space heater for warmth while trying to save on their power bill.  
But firefighters say no amount of money is worth the danger of sparking a blaze.

 Keep space heaters three feet away from anything flammable.   And remember some models have thermostats that will turn them on automatically.

Albany Fire Department Battalion Chief Keith Ambrose said "If the thermostat feels it's gotten cooler, then it's going to come on.  You don't realize it, until it's too late.  So just be very cognitive of where space heaters are. How they are running, and how you have them plugged in."

Firefighters say space heaters are not designed to run long periods of time, and need to be turned off and cooled down occasionally.  

And never plug one into an extension cord, plug it directly into the wall socket.

Copyright 2016 WALB . All Rights Reserved

Powered by Frankly