Fire officials speak out on space heater safety - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Fire officials speak out on space heater safety

Fire officials urge you to practice safety with space heaters (Source: WALB) Fire officials urge you to practice safety with space heaters (Source: WALB)
A space heater caused a fire earlier in the week (Source: WALB) A space heater caused a fire earlier in the week (Source: WALB)
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Temperatures are forecast to plummet below freezing Friday night, and Albany firefighters are concerned that people struggling to stay warm could spark fires.

A fire on West Second Avenue earlier in the week was started by a space heater.

Firefighters remind you to keep them at least three feet away from any furniture or combustible material.

"Don't put it right next to the bed, because your bed clothes and things like that will tend to dry out, and become combustible at that point," said Battalion Chief Kelly Harcrow.

Firefighters also urge people not to run space heaters for an extended period of time.

They need to be turned off and allowed to cool down occasionally.

Copyright 2016 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly