Heating company prepares to work overtime after expected freeze - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Heating company prepares to work overtime after expected freeze

With the cold snap expected, some heating companies will work overtime to protect their customers. (Source: WALB) With the cold snap expected, some heating companies will work overtime to protect their customers. (Source: WALB)
SafeAire in Albany will have six technicians on call during and after the expected freeze. (Source: WALB) SafeAire in Albany will have six technicians on call during and after the expected freeze. (Source: WALB)
Matt Lane with SafeAire said people with gas systems should have a Carbon Monoxide detector. (Source: WALB) Matt Lane with SafeAire said people with gas systems should have a Carbon Monoxide detector. (Source: WALB)
LEESBURG, GA (WALB) -

With the cold snap expected in south Georgia, some heating and cooling companies will work overtime to protect their customers this weekend.

SafeAire in Albany will have six technicians on call during and after the expected freeze in case something comes up with customers.

So far, the company has gotten a lot of calls from people wanting a technician to check their systems.

However, the most dangerous, and potentially fatal problem is Carbon Monoxide leaks.

Matt Lane with SafeAire said those leaks happens with gas systems. Lane said if you have a gas system, you should definitely have a Carbon Monoxide detector.

In fact, the company had a customer last week whose system was leaking carbon monoxide, which could have fatal consequences.

"They did not have a carbon monoxide detector and their system was old," said Lane. "Luckily, we went out there to check the system and because of that, we were able to find the heat exchanger leaking carbon monoxide in the house. We were able to get the customers out of the house, and get the house aired out."

You can get a Carbon Monoxide detector at most home improvement stores. Lane said they typically range between $15 and $40.

Those detectors usually have a life span of five years.

Because Carbon Monoxide is colorless, odorless, and tasteless, it's likely you won't know if its leaking in your home unless you have a detector, or symptoms.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, vomiting and chest pain, among others.

The symptoms are often described as "flu-like."

If you do breathe in a lot of the gas, it can make you pass out or kill you.

Copyright 2016 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly