DOUGHERTY CO., GA (WALB) - The man who died Thursday in a vacant home on Howard Drive in South Dougherty County was identified Friday morning by the Dougherty County Coroner as 57-year-old Vincent Valencik.
The home had power, but no one was living here. There was a space heater in the home, and that may be the blame for the fire
This is the third fire in a vacant home in the last two weeks in the area just southwest of the airport, including one home destroyed by fire on Wednesday on Willingham Drive. Wednesday's fire was caused by a space heater that set a recliner on fire.
Investigators say Valencik was a member of the family that formally owned that home, and a home on Willingham Drive that also burned Wednesday. Both those homes burned this week, and Investigators say space heaters sparked both fires, but there is no evidence of any foul play in either fire.
"The death is still pending, said Coroner Michael Fowler. "We saw no foul play, or anything out of the way. But right now we just got to do the toxicology and the carbon monoxide test. To make sure he died in the fire."
"You know calm the fears of anyone in the community. Sometimes you have to go slow when there is a death, and that is what we are doing in this case. We are just trying to follow up, follow all leads," said Investigator Sam Harris with the Albany Fire Department.
Valencik's body was sent for autopsy to the GBI Crime lab.