Space heater blamed for early morning Central Albany house fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Space heater blamed for early morning Central Albany house fire

Source WALB Source WALB
Source WALB Source WALB
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Albany Fire Department investigators say a space heater left on inside the bedroom of a home sparked a huge fire in central Albany early Wednesday morning.

No one was in the home in the 600 block of West Second Avenue when it went up in flames around 3 a.m.  Officials say the owners do not live in the home but use it occasionally.  Firefighters evacuated the family next door, because the flames were endangering their house.

Then around 6 a.m. another blaze destroyed a second home, an overgrown vacant home in the 2200 block of Willingham Drive caught fire. Investigators are still trying to determine the cause.
Neighbors tell us the owner died, and the house has been empty for years. That fire is still under investigation.

Albany Fire Department Battalion Chief Kelly Harcrow said "We always try to tell people to stay vigilant. If you do have property that's vacant, it's a good idea to go by and check on it periodically to see if anyone is going in there, to try to prevent that."

The Red Cross is helping the evacuated family from West Second Avenue fire.
Copyright 2016 WALB . All Rights Reserved

Powered by Frankly