Family pet causes $35K in damage after starting fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Family pet causes $35K in damage after starting fire

More than $35,000 of  damage was done after a dog knocked over a heating lamp and it caught fire. (Source: WALB) More than $35,000 of damage was done after a dog knocked over a heating lamp and it caught fire. (Source: WALB)
Asst. Chief Sebon Burns (Source: WALB) Asst. Chief Sebon Burns (Source: WALB)
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Albany firefighters said that an early morning fire that destroyed more than $35,000 worth of machinery was caused by a family pet.

Firefighters were called to a large shed fire in the 4700 block of Clewiston Lane around 6:45 Tuesday morning.  

Firefighters said the family dog knocked over a heating lamp that was turned on to keep the dog warm.

The dog escaped, but lawn equipment, motorcycles and other equipment were burned.  

"Any heating source, whether it's an outdoor lamp or a space heater, we always advise three to five feet away from the heating sources, for this particular reason," said Asst. Chief Sebon Burns with the Albany Fire Department.

Firefighters said that the number of fires increases as the colder temperatures arrive, and people look for ways to keep their families and pets warm.

Copyright 2016 WALB. All rights reserved.   

Powered by Frankly