Overnight two more fires in Albany caused thousands of dollars in damage. Firefighters again warn homeowners that burning yard debris this weekend could be disastrous.
It's fall, and most South Georgians have leaves or pine straw falling in their yard. But firefighters are urging people not to burn them
.Firefighters were still soaking down the playground area at the Gordon Softball Park last night, after a major fire. Two young kids playing with matches and paper on the slide dropped a burning piece. In seconds the mulch under the playground was in flames.
Albany Fire Department Investigator Sam Harris said "And it immediately caught on fire and did $10,000 worth of damage in a matter of just a few minutes." The plastic on the playground set was melted off, and now will have to be replaced. The good news, no children were hurt.
Firefighters were called to Elton Drive Thursday night, when a homeowner's debris fire, that they thought was out, hours later ignited the yard, burning their shed and everything inside it. Harris said "What they are not thinking about, is the grass is so dry, that if an ember flies from the wind picking it up, that it will set the grass on fire."
So firefighters once again remind homeowners that any and all outdoor burning could be extremely dangerous because it is so dry. Harris said "So just right now please stop all burning, until we get some rain."
And they remind smokers that drivers tossing cigarettes out car windows have caused several fires in recent days. So they urge people to think fire safety, until we get some rain. Copyright 2016 WALB . All Rights Reserved
More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>