Fire officials: Cigarette sparks Albany fire, smokers should be - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Fire officials: Cigarette sparks Albany fire, smokers should be cautious in drought

Officials said that a discarded cigarette started an Albany grass fire. (Source: WALB) Officials said that a discarded cigarette started an Albany grass fire. (Source: WALB)
The fire scorched yards and burned a fence. (Source: WALB) The fire scorched yards and burned a fence. (Source: WALB)
Investigator Sam Harris (Source: WALB) Investigator Sam Harris (Source: WALB)
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

With the drought in South Georgia getting worse, firefighters are asking people to use extreme caution when smoking.

Albany firefighters said that a cigarette thrown out a car window sparked a grass fire in the alley on North Monroe Street, just behind the Albany Rescue Mission.

The fire scorched yards and burned a fence.  

In the last two weeks, Albany firefighters have battled 15 grass fires started by tossed out cigarettes.

"It's getting into people's property. It's causing damage. And most of it's being done from discarded smoking materials out the windows of cars. And just please be careful," said Investigator Sam Harris with the Albany Fire Department.

Firefighters said that with the dry conditions getting worse every day, the danger of a grass fire intensifies.  

They urge all South Georgians to be careful with any fire, even on the end of your cigarette.

Copyright 2016 WALB. All rights reserved.   

Powered by Frankly