Fire cause all too familiar: Unattended cooking - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Fire cause all too familiar: Unattended cooking

(Source: WALB) (Source: WALB)
Inspector Sam Harris (Source: WALB) Inspector Sam Harris (Source: WALB)
(Source: WALB) (Source: WALB)
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Never leave food unattended is the warning from Albany fire officials, after a home went up in flames earlier today.

It happened in the 1300 block of East 1st Avenue, and firefighters say the blaze could've been prevented, and these fires are happening far too often.

Around 7:30 this morning this house was flames.  "The house was fully involved. The fire had vented through the roof above the kitchen," said AFD Inspector Sam Harris.

It only took the Albany Fire Department about 15 minutes to put out the fire, but 15 minutes doesn't measure up to the damage it caused. "This fire did approximately $60,000 in damage. It can get bad quickly,"  said Harris.

The source of the fire was the stove, a place where fire officially say they see too many fires beginning. "If you have a fire the size of a stove, one minute later it's twice as big as the stove, one minute later it's four times as big as the stove, one minute later it's eight times as big as the stove and we are only at five minutes,"  said Harris.

Harris says the man living in the house had gone to bed around 11, leaving two pans of beans on the stove to cook overnight. When he woke up this morning, the damage had already begun. "What happens is the pans start to break down, the moisture cooks out of the food and then you get a fire."

The man was the only one in the house at the time. He was able to get out in time, all thanks to his working smoke detector. "Always ensure that your smoke detector is working properly because smoke detectors save lives."

Harris says he hopes people will look at the damage, and think twice before leaving the stove unattended. "You always want to have any heat source where you are attentive to it. Anytime you are not, you stand the risk of danger."

There is one other person who was living in the house. That person was not home at the time of the fire.

Copyright 2016 WALB.  All rights reserved.   

Powered by Frankly