ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Albany fire officials are urging residents to check their clothes dryer because of a recent increase in fires caused by them.
Firefighters are seeing crimps in the exhaust hoses behind the dryers.
That hose takes lint and dust from the dryer and puts it outside.
But if there is a crimp or bend in that hose, it can cause a build up of lint which the dryer's intense heat can ignite.
"It goes into that tube and sits there and smolders until the oxygen levels are met, and then you get an open flame. Sometimes that is a day or two later," said Investigator Sam Harris with the Albany Fire Department.
Firefighters are asking people to check their dryer exhaust hose for buildup.
If there is a lot inside, then clean or replace it and make sure the new one is straight.