ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Officials released the identity of an Albany woman was killed in a house fire Saturday night. They said that 88 year old Minnie Nixon was killed.
Toxicology tests are going on now to determine the exact cause of death.
Just before 9:00, firefighters were called to the scene on the 100 block of Swift Street in East Albany. Smoke was visible from a block away.
AFD said that about 60 percent of the home was on fire when officials arrived.
Lieutenant Jason Ribolla was injured and transported to Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital for back and leg treatment. He was later released, but not yet cleared to return to work.
Officials determined the fire was started when flames escaped the exposed fireplace and ignited the nearby framing due to a leak in the chimney.
Nixon was the only person home at the time.