DOUGHERTY CO., GA (WALB) - Firefighters warn south Georgians about trash fire dangers as the season to burn yard debris begins.
Around 8:30 Wednesday morning, firefighters were called to a grass fire that spread to a shed on Williamsburg Road in south Dougherty County.
Firefighters said that George Bigalow had a trash fire on Sunday.
On Wednesday morning, the wind re-ignited it.
Firefighters said that residents have to make sure those trash fires are out because of fall winds.
"Putting water on it and saturating it really well once the fire appears to be out, because the embers are still smoldering underneath," said Investigator Sam Harris with the Albany Fire Department.
It is not legal to burn debris in your yard in the city of Albany.
In the county, you need a permit from the Forestry Commission.
October is Fire Prevention Month, and this week is Fire Safety Week.