Albany firefighters urge safety while cooking - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Albany firefighters urge safety while cooking

Source WALB Source WALB
Source WALB Source WALB
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Another Albany house fire caused by unattended cooking prompts firefighters to send out another safety plea.

The home in the 2500 block of Walden Court sustained fire and smoke damage Tuesday morning.  

No one was home about 7:30 when an alarm reported the fire.  
Jelisa Sunbrey apparently forgot food on the stove.

This is the 69th unattended food fire in Albany so far this year, 19-percent of all the fires.

Firefighters urge people to stay alert when cooking.

Assistant Chief Rubin Jordan said "If you are going to cook. like we always say, get something.  Put something in your hand to remind you. If you go off to answer the phone. Any kind of distraction."

This is Georgia Fire Prevention week,  and firefighters say unattended cooking fires is one of their biggest concerns.

Copyright 2016 WALB . All Rights Reserved

Powered by Frankly