ALBANY, GA (WALB) - The residents of Hudson Malone Towers in Albany were evacuated due to a fire on the 5th floor of the apartment complex around ten this morning.
Officials says that fire started when a woman fell asleep with her stove on.
First United Methodist Church was holding it's church services across the street.
During the morning church services, what started as a text message chain spread into an act of kindness by members of First United Methodist Church.
There was a fire on the 5th floor of the Hudson Malone Towers Apartments.
Most of its residents are older.
Ashlee Crawford, the nursery director at the church looked out the church window and saw the residents and emergency vehicles.
"I saw a lot of the residents were standing outside and some had already fallen trying to cross the street," says Crawford.
She begin texting other members of the church.
A game plan was created.
They begin transporting residents from the towers to the church activity center by golf cart.
The activity center had air conditioning and water was provided immediately.
Local businesses started contributing.
Burger King donated 50 cheeseburgers.
Little Caesars donated 20 pizzas and Sam's Club donated bag of chips, water and fruit.
The residents could spend the day in the activity center instead of out in the hot weather.
The Red Cross helped by donating needed blankets, giving needed medications and medical care.
Reverend Thad Haygood says the church family has taken this as a chance to show the importance of helping others.
"This we did not expect but it was a perfect opportunity to open our doors and be the light of Christ for the Hudson Malone Towers," said Reverend Haygood.